182RG Gear Issue

More
1 week 2 days ago #2057 by Nick Gilbert
Replied by Nick Gilbert on topic 182RG Gear Issue
Much appreciated. Will pass this along and update when we've reached a resolution.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #2054 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic 182RG Gear Issue
Apparently it did not attach.
I'll try again.
Steve

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
1 week 5 days ago #2050 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic 182RG Gear Issue
Circuit breakers open due to high current draw. The pump motor solenoid is opened, shutting current to the motor off, when the pressure in the power pack reaches approximately 1500 psi, pushing on the pressure switch. If the pressure switch does not open the pump will continue to try to build pressure.
There is a pressure relief valve built into the power pack. It's supposed to trip at around 1800 psi. It's not very likely that both of these failed, but if they both did the pump would eventually overheat and trip the circuit breaker.

It's more likely that the solenoid that controls the power pack got stuck closed which prevented the powerpack motor from shutting off.
There is a Cessna service bulletin that might apply to your problem.

It calls for an inspection of the electrical terminals on the power pack motor.

I have attached it.

Please let me know if this is helpful.

Steve
Attachments:

More
1 week 6 days ago #2047 by Nick Gilbert
A few months ago, I posted an issue with the landing gear on my 78 182RG. I'd continue there, but it seems it may have been archived.

In summary: Went up one day in December, retracted gear, a few seconds later noted high current draw on the ammeter and heard pack still running. Before I could do it myself, gear motor breaker popped. I do not know if the gear fully retracted, however, I don't recall the thump. Can't be sure though. Didn't attempt to reset the breaker. Manually extended gear and landed without incident.

Plane went into annual shortly thereafter. A&P tore through the gear system, did dozens of cycles and was unable to reproduce or find any issues at all. No prior issues with gear. Per A&P, the pack is far from needing a rebuild as far as hours go. He said that the gear are in better shape than he's ever seen on a Cessna. No slop, strong hydraulics. Annual signed off.

Since then, the gear does what it should. The only remaining issue is that whenever I turn on the master, the motor kicks in for all but an instant. I have not heard it do this in flight or any other time, for that matter. No evidence of hydraulic leak. Reservoir cap is tight. Reported to A&P, but he doesn't have any ideas. He's asking around.

Anyone got any ideas?

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds