Oil Pressure Issue

• Gary Shaffer
  • Gary Shaffer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 year 6 months ago #2607 by Gary Shaffer
Replied by Gary Shaffer on topic Oil Pressure Issue
A&P opened the relief valve area, but found no contamination. Replaced the plunger and spring (which was about 1/8" shorter than the new one), and things are way better now. Still seems to me that they could have done a better job at designing a system that would provide consistent OP regardless of temperature, but it's staying between 30 and 60 under all conditions, so I guess I'm good to go. Thanks for the advice!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #2561 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Oil Pressure Issue
The first thing I would check would be the oil pressure relief valve. Just a tiny bit of schmutz between the valve and seat will prevent the OP from reaching desired.

The relief valve is located on the lower aft end of the engine, below the screen or oil filter screw in housing.

Pull the cap, spring and plunger. Inspect for and remove anything that might prevent the plunger from contacting the seat.

Look closely at the seat; it must be clean and uniform.

Put everything back together and test.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks
Steve

• Gary Shaffer
  • Gary Shaffer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 year 7 months ago #2559 by Gary Shaffer
Oil Pressure Issue was created by Gary Shaffer
C-182B, O-470L. About 10 minutes after takeoff I noticed OP at 25 and dropping. Throttled back and turned back immediately, and it was at 12 by the time I landed. No strange sounds or smells, no loss of oil. Talked to my A&P/IA the next day; he suggested that I start it again and observe the OP carefully. Did that, and the OP slowly built up to 40 and stayed there until I shut down a minute later. Reported that, and A&P thought it might just have been an indicator error (E.I. OPT-1 electronic pressure/temp guage). A day later I started it again, and again it took about 20 seconds to build up to about 35 PSI and would go higher at higher RPM, but the more it ran, the lower the OP would go at any given RPM. Shut down when it wouldn't maintain25 PSI at idle. Last oil/filter change was just a few hours before the problem; oil analysis was normal. Suggestions would be much appreciated!

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds