Tuned Exhaust?

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #2844 by JOSEPH SMOKOVITZ
Replied by JOSEPH SMOKOVITZ on topic Tuned Exhaust?
To add my 2-cents: I installed a power flow tuned exhaust system on a C-model Mooney. When I ordered/purchased the system at Sun-N-Fun, the nice people at their booth were touting the increase performance of the system and how I will love it. I (A&P-IA) was more interested in getting rid of the miserable original Mooney exhaust system which barely fits in the cowling and is always rubbing on something causing damage. They said their exhaust system will be much better than the original. So I went for it. (about $5,000.00 total) It is worth every penny and it fits in the cowling with much more room to spare, and it is constructed to very nice tolerances. As far as performance increases, I don't see any great difference from original. But as a pilot/owner/mechanic, this exhaust system is a thing of beauty! We now have about 200 hours on it and it still looks like new. (read that as no cracking) From years of experience, when installing anything firewall forward, if you have to force something in place to install it with strain, it will relieve the strain all by itself in just a few hours by cracking. This whole system is designed very well and fit very nicely with no strain. So I suspect it will continue to be good for many more hours of service. So if there are any performance increases, then that would be just 'icing on the cake'. Hope this could help in your decision. Thanks. Joe Smokovitz. (also a Cessna owner)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Shaffer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gary Shaffer
  • Gary Shaffer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 2 days ago #2823 by Gary Shaffer
Replied by Gary Shaffer on topic Tuned Exhaust?
I was looking for generic information, but the specific plane is a C-182R with an O-470U and a Hartzell PHC-C3YF-1RF. Thanks!

More
1 month 2 days ago #2822 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Tuned Exhaust?
Hi Gary,

I'm glad you're asking a question on this forum, but I don't know what model Cessna you fly unless you tell me.

Way back about 20 years ago I installed one of the original Powerflow exhaust systems on a Cessna 172.

Then I did simple performance comparison tests. My conclusion was that the Powerflow exhaust on the C-172 was the cheapest power boost available for that airplane.

There was a marked increase in climb rage and cruise speed.

I don't have any other personal experience I can share.

Hopefully other members will weigh in.

Best,
Steve

• Gary Shaffer
  • Gary Shaffer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 2 days ago #2819 by Gary Shaffer
Tuned Exhaust? was created by Gary Shaffer
Hi,
Does anyone here have experience with the Power Monster Cross-Flow exhaust system from LEES and now Power-Flow Systems? I'm especially interested in improving climb rate.
Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.307 seconds