Magneto Mess

More
1 month 1 week ago #3092 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Magneto Mess
So glad you're up and flying again.

So sad that the maintenance shop wasn't up to snuff.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I wish I knew of an excellent A & P (IA) at every airport, but they seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

Best,
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gary Shaffer
  • Gary Shaffer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 month 1 week ago #3089 by Gary Shaffer
Replied by Gary Shaffer on topic Magneto Mess
So the problem turned out to be that the improvised P-leads were working erratically. Those were recommended by the mag shop. I don't know; maybe they had just used that approach for timing checks there in the shop, and didn't realize that they aren't suitable for flight (or even run-up!). Either way, I have real, store-bought P-leads now, and the engine runs fine at all power settings. And I don't think I'll be using this IA for anything complicated anymore. Those leads were working fine before I gave him the plane, and his judgement and troubleshooting skills were lacking. Ten hours of shop time, a destroyed ignition cable set, and a $1,000 IRAN to replace a Surefly with a customer-provided magneto. I would have been better off just leaving the Surefly on the old plane and buying a new one for the new plane.
But thanks for your time, as always!

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3070 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Gary,
My reply bothered me because, on reflection it seemed that I jumped to a couple of conclusions.

First, I am going to assume that the 172R is the one that you're having trouble with.

Was the SureFly installed on the left side (replacing the impulse couple magneto) or on the right side?

I asked to determine if the IRANed magneto was dead after re install or the SureFly was dead.

I still believe you'll find your problem by rechecking to see if the IRANed magneto and the SureFly were installed correctly.
The crankshaft has to be in different positions (relative to what's called top dead center) on the compression stroke of #1 cylinder for each installation.

The magneto has to be at 22 deg before top dead center while the SureFly has to be at top dead center.

I wish I were there to troubleshoot this for you.

On the other hand, what except the magneto switch would fail to ground both the magneto and SureFly? Unless the new P leads were manufactured and/or installed incorrectly??

Best,
Steve

• Gary Shaffer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3069 by Gary Shaffer
Yes, I agree about changing IAs. He was supposed to have it fixed Thursday, but I haven't heard anything. Fingers crossed for Friday. Will advise.

Unfortunately, the contact plate can be installed in three different positions, with no keying or even markings. I added the latter, but it would have saved a lot of time, money, and possible engine damage if both the plate and the Surefly came that way from their factories.

Thanks again,
Gary

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3068 by STEVE ELLS
Between you and me;

If the IA told you your airplane was fine to fly when there was no mag drop when switching between both, L and R, you need to find a new IA.

Totally illegal for him to release an airplane in that condition.

If the engine won't start after installing the SureFly, it's installed incorrectly.

I can't help but thinking he didn't have the engine in the correct position (on the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder) when he installed the mag and the SureFly.

That's where I would start

Secondly, if we're talking about the contact plate (the black part the wires are connected to) of the mag switch, there's only one way it will go together. If your talking about installing it out of position in the panel, that can be done.

Let me know if this makes sense to you.

Steve

• Gary Shaffer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3066 by Gary Shaffer
Thanks for the suggestion. The IA replaced the switch a year or so ago during his attempts to install the Surefly. The engine ran rough and he insisted that it had to be the switch. The real problem was that he had put the cap on twisted 1/3 out of place. In his defense, there was no clear marking on the cap (I added some later), but still... Also, the switch ran fine before he started the most recent work. What's the next-most-likely thing?

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds