Muffler rebuild?

More
1 week 52 minutes ago #3165 by dave palacios
Replied by dave palacios on topic Muffler rebuild?
Hi Eric, i am new here so bear with me as i get accustomed to the format here.
I am not a metallurgist, but i think the answer is quite easy. The mufflers on these light aircraft for the most part are corrosion resistant metals, which means it takes longer to corrode, it doesn't mean they will never corrode. a weld repair, if not done properly may speed the process. A new muffler will be constructed with new metal. I dont know if there is a set life to the muffler, i would think it would depend on climate use etc. However There is no question that a new muffler will far outlast an old repaired one. Mufflers corrode from the inside out, so not so easy to tell the condition of an old muffler, till it starts cracking thru.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Eric Bioren
  • Eric Bioren's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 week 21 hours ago #3164 by Eric Bioren
Muffler rebuild? was created by Eric Bioren
I found a crack in the muffler of my C162 Skycatcher. I am wondering if it would be wiser to have it rebuilt, or replace it with new for about three times the cost of a rebuild. I am not interested in revisiting this problem in the next 500 hours of flight time. Will a new muffler have a substantially longer expected service life, or are the two options essentially the same?
Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds