• STEVE ELLS
  • STEVE ELLS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 months 1 week ago #3235 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Where to buy or Overhaul a Continental IO 470S
Hi Gerry,
This engine can be rebuilt by any competent engine shop.
There are good shops at various locations around the country.

Some well-known rebuild shops include Airmark Overhaul ( www.airmarkoverhaul . com) in Florica, an advertiser; PennYan Aero ( www.pennyanaero.com ) in New York, Western Skyways
( www.westernskyways.com ) in Colorado, and Zephyr Engines ( www.zephyrengines.com ) in Florida.

These are only a few of the shops that can overhaul your engine. I opened the Trade-a-plane website ( www.trade-a-plane.com ) and found that Airmark Overhaul is advertising a rebuilt IO-470 S on the "engines" tab at that side. The Airmark Overhaul number is (800) 282-3202.

I suggest you contact these shops to get a quote on a rebuild.

The best resource to buy a new engine, or get a Continental rebuilt engine is through Air Power ( www.airpowerinc.com ) in Texas.

Where is your airplane located??

Do you need an overhaul now?

Have you and your mechanic done a thorough engine health diagnostic test? Or is it too late for that?

Unfortunately, supply chain interruptions have increased the times needed to get some parts in-hand so if you can decide on a shop, and get it started on ordering parts while you keep flying for 5 or 6 more months, that would be best.

But even when all the parts are at hand, you will still be without your airplane for a few months before it's ready to go again.

If you order a Continental new or rebuilt engine and can keep flying until it's drop shipped to your hangar, your down time will be reduced by months.

Another way to find a good shop is to ask around at your airport.

It's perfectly legal for your A & P to rebuild your engine if he complies with all applicable service information and airworthiness directives (ADs) that apply to it. The FAA considers an engine rebuild to me a minor repair.

Let me know what else I

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• STEVE ELLS
  • STEVE ELLS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 months 1 week ago #3233 by STEVE ELLS
Gerry Dick asked where he could buy or overhaul a Continental IO-470 S.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds