Parts

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #3264 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Parts
Hi John;
You're correct--the more airplanes out in the field, the better chances there are of finding FAA approved replacement parts and used serviceable parts.

If a needed part can't be found, there is a provision for an owner to make that part under a set of guidelines.

And there are many airplane "salvage" yards that sell used serviceable parts.

Many modifiers have taken the Hawk XP and upped the engine HP--there's a simple STC to increase the power to 210 hp, and taken off the nose wheel to convert the XP into a conventional gear airplane.

As with all airplane purchases, a very thorough due diligence pre-sale inspection and records search is urged.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Zarpak

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• John Zarpak
  • John Zarpak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
4 months 6 hours ago #3257 by John Zarpak
Replied by John Zarpak on topic Parts
This aircraft, that I am considering buying, is an 'in between' model called XP. Only about 1500 of this model are made. My question is parts in general from cosmetics to windows to the engine (that is 195HP). The Basis of my question is the assumption that finding parts for, say 172N is much easier -possibly cheaper- than parts for 177, am I wrong?

More
4 months 6 hours ago #3256 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Parts
John;
That's quite a question. Are you asking about engine overhaul parts? Airframe parts? Fuel system parts?

In general, most of the common wear parts on the airframe are available. A company named MacFarlane Aviation in Kansas makes and sell many of their parts as well as parts from other vendors for single engine Cessnas.

Parts that aren't as commonly needed can be manufactured locally under what's known as the "owner produced parts" rule enacted by the FAA about a decade ago.

Engine overhaul prices vary depending on what company does the overhaul. I've seen a price of around $22000 for an overhaul of your existing engine up to around $38000 for a factory overhaul of your engine.

When the engine has "timed out" or is exhibiting symptoms of too much wear and tear, it's always wise to send the propeller and engine accessories (mount, alternator, prop governor, etc.) for overhaul at the same time.

Tires, windows, windshields, carpets, interior refurb kits, new paint, new avionics are all readily available.

Please let me know when you have a more focused question.

Best,
Steve

• John Zarpak
  • John Zarpak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
4 months 3 days ago #3255 by John Zarpak
Parts was created by John Zarpak
I (first time buyer) am looking at a R172XP 1976. The engine TSMOH is close to 2000 hours. How difficult is it to find parts for it? I appreciate any and all information.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds