• David Kagey
  • David Kagey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 2 days ago #3407 by David Kagey
Replied by David Kagey on topic Aircraft data plate
Thanks....got it done.
Ended up with a metal plate, riveted to the rear side of the aircraft.
Thanks for the information

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago #3406 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Aircraft data plate
David,
The requirement for an exterior data plate is broad. As I recall, it must be on the exterior of the airframe between the pilots-side door and the tail.

You can pay for a company to make you one, but as I recall, as long as the airplane type and serial number are 3/8 to 1/4 inch high and legible the requirement has been met.

If you know anyone that can paint lettering, that's good. If not, I've seen the requirement met by affixing putting labels from a hand labeler in place. If I used the hand labeler solution, I would cover it with clear paint to prevent it from peeling off. Clear ladies nail polish will work.

The regulation governing this is FAR 45.11. Here's the text:
" The model designation and builder's serial number must be--

(1) Legible to a person on the ground,
(2) Located either adjacent to and aft of the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage near the tail surfaces, and

(3) Displayed in such a manner that they are not likely to be defaced or removed during normal service."

Although some data plate manufacturing companies want you to believe it, there's no requirement that the ID be metal.

Best,
Steve

• David Kagey
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 5 days ago #3396 by David Kagey
Replied by David Kagey on topic Aircraft data plate
Thanks for the comment. Tried to share that I do have the original Cessna pilot door jam mounted data plate. What I was inquiring about was the one for older aircraft that had to be added to the exterior back by the tail. Found the reg and this one says “owner or operator” must add. I found a place that makes the stainless/engraved ones the FAA wants. It was installed today by the A&P/IA I use. Not sure how it was missed for so many years, but I am now covered. Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen D

More
1 month 5 days ago #3394 by Jen D
Replied by Jen D on topic Aircraft data plate
Hi David,
Here's a Q&A from Steve Ells to a Cessna 210 in 2014 that explains it. Note that the price listed will likely have gone up in the ensuing years:

A Cessna data plate is equivalent to a birth certificate. A single data plate is created and attached—riveted, in most cases—to a standardized location inside each airframe during construction. Airplanes manufactured after 1988 have the data plates affixed to the outside of the fuselage.

At first glance a data plate doesn't seem like a big deal; after all, it's just a metal plate that contains information such as the builder's name, the aircraft model designation, the aircraft serial number, the aircraft Type Certificate number, and production certificate number.

However, an airplane without a data plate is, in the eyes of the FAA, not an airplane. A data plate is needed to legitimize an airplane.

Let's think about this from an opposite point of view. I've heard stories of airplanes, written off as totally destroyed by insurance companies, that have reappeared because the data plate off the wreck was attached to an airframe made up of wings from one wreck, a forward fuselage from another wreck and other parts from a third wreck. This is prohibited by FAR 45.13(8)(e).

Today the regulations require that each airplane manufactured prior to March 7, 1988 have—in addition to the inside-mounted data plate—the builder's model designation (Cessna 210A, in your case) and the aircraft serial number externally on the fuselage either adjacent to or aft of the rearmost door or near the tail surfaces.

Since it's not in Cessna's interest to have a "hot" data plate legitimize an airframe it had no part in producing, the company will only issue a replacement data plate under certain conditions.

A Cessna data plate replacement letter issued on Dec. 2, 2002, lists three steps to getting a replacement data plate.
First, the owner must provide Cessna with a notarized letter describing how the original data plate was lost. The owner must also provide a letter from the local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) that states that the airplane is "as represented."
Applicants must also include a letter from a Cessna Service Center (or a Cessna Service Engineer) stating that the airplane: (a) meets the TCDS and (b) that all mandatory Service Bulletins are accomplished. The letter also states that "Modifications such as winglets, spoilers, STOL kits or any others are not installed." Once these letters are obtained they are sent to Cessna along with a check for $404 and a new data plate will be issued.

• David Kagey
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 1 week ago #3386 by David Kagey
Aircraft data plate was created by David Kagey
I have a 172M. It was pointed out that I don’t have a metal data plate on the exterior of the aircraft. I have the original Cessna one on the Pilot side door frame, but nothing in the aft fuselage area.
One, is this required and two, where might you purchase one?
I read some articles that if you are missing the original door frame plate, it is a big deal and you have to go to the FAA and Textron, but it sounds like you can have the exterior one added
Thanks

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds