182 Advice

More
1 year 8 months ago #2525 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic 182 Advice
I love the 182. I owned a 1966 182 J and it did everything I needed.
I have written a couple of 182 based articles.

www.cessnaflyer.org/cessna-singles/cessn...-the-cessna-182.html

www.cessnaflyer.org/cessna-singles/cessn...-the-cessna-182.html

The "flying" article refers to a downloadable book by Richard Coffey. Get it.

Take a look at these and let me know when you have more questions.
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• John Jackson
  • John Jackson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 year 8 months ago #2521 by John Jackson
Replied by John Jackson on topic 182 Advice
I am trying to stay around $100k for this first purchase. Short field is an issue because I will have customers with private runways that may be shorter. That has been one of my considerations. I would like to use this purchase for IFR rating. I know Mooney is faster but I also only have 125 hours at this point and am familiar with 182.

More
1 year 8 months ago #2520 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic 182 Advice
Cool, a job that pays you to fly!
These are three different airplanes. If you're a big guy, the Mooney might be a tight squeeze. Fast but small and hard to load.
The 182, as I'm sure you've heard is the best airplane out there across the board. Not the fastest but OK; easy to load with plenty of cargo and passenger space. Solid as a rock in weather, an airframe that most mechanics have worked on, and always in demand.
I don't know much about the SR 20.

As with all airplane purchases, you'll be happiest in the long run if you buy the airplane that best fits your mission.

So which is it? Fast and economy (Mooney) or slower, but better at short field work with lots of room?

If you're not going to be loading anything in the Mooney except personal items, that might be best.

What's your budget??

Steve

• John Jackson
  • John Jackson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 year 8 months ago #2519 by John Jackson
182 Advice was created by John Jackson
I am a old new pilot(just turned 56) and am looking for my first aircraft purchase. My plan was to remain in my club that I used a 172 mainly with a few hours in a 182 to obtain my PPL and take my time to find my own plane. The great news is I landed a dream job for a company called Hangarbot that sells hangar automation products and I am going to get paid to fly around and sell our product. The bad news is I need to move that decision up and find an a plane. I am confused with all of the choices and want to get some input on the 182 as compared to a SR20 and a Mooney F model. Any good advice?

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds