Sure fly magneto

• richard heinichen
  • richard heinichen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 week 3 days ago #2855 by richard heinichen
Replied by richard heinichen on topic Sure fly magneto
I left both mags on because I thought it was a stuck valve issue. This was according to all the smart people I talked to at OSH.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #2852 by William Slicer
Replied by William Slicer on topic Sure fly magneto
And also assuming the mag kept engine running, did it smooth out when you switched off “Both” and onto just the mag?

More
1 week 3 days ago #2851 by William Slicer
Richard,
I have a 182P with a Pponk-50 that just turned 500 hrs. I’ve had zero problems with the two slick mags. I just changed the left 3 days ago and sent it for the IRAN. I will change the right mag when the left comes back from IRAN. Am considering the surefly for the right side and keeping the mag returned from IRAN as backup. You probably answered in the thread, but if surefly EI failed, why didn’t the mag keep the fire to plugs going?

• richard heinichen
  • richard heinichen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 week 3 days ago #2850 by richard heinichen
Replied by richard heinichen on topic Sure fly magneto
Hi There William
I must say first that the plane started better with the electric mag. However; this 1999 182 S fuel injected IO 540 was also new to me. Now that I have learned how to start it, hot or cold it starts as it did with the sure fly.
My problem is that the company took a long time to finally say "yes, it is a bad mag and we don't know what is wrong with it" that scares me. I give some relief to them since it was new to them also hitting the market. To this day they have not reached out to me with the answer. They said they would. To that I give a thumbs down.
I like the idea of electronic mags, but have reservations about the loss of battery power. The old school mag will just "keep on ticking" with or without battery power. This I like.
People on this site give high marks for the eletroair? (sp) brand. However; I also see many complaints about the regulator ( i think ) that needs fussing with.
I feel real good now about replacing my mag at 400 hours, with a new mag, not rebuilt and I will never rebuild an alternator. These are throw away parts in my world.
Thanks for asking and to answer Marks inquire about the $7000. That is what I ask sure fly to repay me for hotel, food (5 days), shipping of the old mag, the labor to check out the problem and to install the mag. In addition they refunded me the first installation., which was $250.00. And the Mag cost. They even asked me if I want another one. Not free of course.
This all happened on my return from Oshkosh ( the last one). While at Oshkosh I went to the sure fly folks there and they said it was a stuck valve and no way the mag was involved as did Lycomming, who had an identical mag, on the counter, made by sure fly but was painted black that they were to release shortly.
I might add that when we installed this new creature it missed a few heart beats more than a dozen times over ten flights in preparing for the flight to Oshkosh. My mechanic and sure fly tried to pin point the problem. On the way it did it again and again. I failed the PAVE test big time. Me Bad. And finally on the way home it gave up the ghost. It caused the plane to back fire, loose enough power to question that it might explode, throwing parts into the Mag department.
I'm good now with the old school stuff. And I will ask you.. how many problems have you had with your mags?
P.S. I have the Plane Power starter. Thanks William and happy trails..

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #2849 by mark munro
Replied by mark munro on topic Sure fly magneto
its nowhere near 7000$. I just put another 4 cylinder mag on in an 0-360. took about an hour.
cost was just the price of mag from aircraft spruce. I havent installed one in a 6 cyl yet. I reused the slick harness as it was in good shape. sure fly strongly suggests new harness with mod. harnesses are about 300$. you will also need little 1/4 inch hose barb fitting to attach vacuum line to to induction on nearest cyl head for variable timing which I am a fan of. In little lycomingd I've been replacing right mag which allows hand propping with dead battery and two impulse sparks for easy starting. Downside is old impulse mag which I retain requires more maintenence. There is a youtube video a guy put on that clearly shows how to to stall.
Last edit: 1 week 3 days ago by mark munro.

More
1 week 4 days ago #2848 by William Slicer
Well, just when I was ready to pull the trigger and buy a Surefly to replace one of my mags that just reached 500 hours . . .
I am curious about the $7,000. The Surefly is about $1650. Was your install of the Surefly longer than 2 hours? I'm guessing a good bit of the $7000 was keeping the plane wherever you had to land and getting you back home and then back to the plane, plus getting a mechanic to re-install the mag. I am trying to learn the typical install time for the Surefly, if I continue down that road. Thanks

Time to create page: 0.437 seconds