Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Interior - help *Airtex interior panels

Interior - help *Airtex interior panels 6 months 2 weeks ago #901

• SAM LOWE
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 1
Unfortunately, no. It was a slow process but I eventually got most of it off. We are talking about 40+ year old glue and foam. Best of luck. I did find the folks at Airtex very helpful when I had questions.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Interior - help *Airtex interior panels 6 months 2 weeks ago #900

Excellent! Thanks for the info!

I plan to use 3m spray glue to adhere the face of the panels... and then the airtex glue/contact cement for the backside where the edges fold over on back.

My problem right now is getting off all of the old foam that is glued to the old panels/backers. UGH!!! You have any helpful tips for that!?!? LOL

Thanks again!

Interior - help *Airtex interior panels 6 months 2 weeks ago #899

• SAM LOWE
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 1
I used the entire Airtex kit on my Cardinal. I made one small error, but I see it every time I get in the plane...

You are on the right track. You do need to make sure the adhesive you use will last. Be careful as you trim the edges of the new material, if you come up short there is no going back. I used a small scratch awl to locate the holes and then a very fine point sharpie to mark them. When you reassemble use the awl to help find the holes. Once a couple line up the rest seem to find themselves pretty well.

I was able to use my existing panels for everything so did not have to get to creative with the backers.

If you have to make new holes, take careful stock of where you have to drill. I used a dremel tool with a small bit. It worked out very well.

Sam

Interior - help *Airtex interior panels 6 months 3 weeks ago #895

Looking for help... hoping someone has been through this.... I'm putting a new interior kit in my Cardinal, and have the Airtex leather kit. I just completed the seats and they seem to be great. Now I'm moving on to the door and side panels. Having only previously done a 120 interior where it did not similar side panels... I'm stumped where to start. I plan to try to remove the existing fabric from the door panels, and then re-use the backer for the new Airtex panels. Then for the side panels, I plan to cut new plastic sheet panels and wrap the Airex on those. Is this a normal process, or am I getting it wrong?!?!

...follow up question would be how to keep track of the locations for the screws that mount the panels to the airframe. I assumed re-using existing to avoid new holes in the airframe... but is it better to just make new holes??

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds