Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 1 month 5 days ago #1675

Ya Piper primed until moved to Vero Beach after Lock Haven flood.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 1 month 5 days ago #1674

Pa24 a nice ride too.. Like working them.
I am out of Lake Elmo MN,, just east of St Paul at 21D Hang out at Lake Elmo Aero Have a 77 172N with the H2AD. Full time gig is aircraft inspection with Delta here in MSP

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 1 month 6 days ago #1672

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Hey Carl;
Thanks. Yep, sorta makes me happy that although I have been a Cessna guy for decades, I found I couldn't afford a Cessna or a Beech on my budget so I ended up getting a Piper Comanche. In general, I believe Piper applied primer to all the airframe metal prior to assembly.

I worked in Corrosion control during my Navy stint. Aluminum and sea air do not get along. One airplane (a Grumman E-1B) was OKed for one flight to the depot after an 8 month WestPac cruise.

I appreciate your thoughts and welcome any additional information.

Where is your shop??
What's the name of your business?

S

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 1 month 6 days ago #1671

Ill get em to ya Steve. Cessna no stock.. I think we paid 3k for a "serviceable' one, was not perfect, but usable. That was the 3rd one that worked.
As a aside, the Stinson 108 spar,,, same issues. LOOK at those carefully too.

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 1 month 6 days ago #1670

HI Steve and group.. Ide have to track down my emails on the 177 spar dimensions we had received from Cessna. In general, they had a minimum thickness for each section on the web. What we learned from Cessna was that the manufacturing process gave a lot of leeway to the machinist in the process of milling the billet. IF, you happen to get a spar that was trimmed to the thicker limit you had more room to grind and burnish out any "blemishes" caused by corrosion or other issues. Of course you could get on trimmed to the min ( as we got one done that way" that gives you no tolerance for any removal. That one , after we had blended out what appeared to be the corrosion damage, when it went to the NDT group for Ultrasound thickness and Eddy Current, was below the thickness limits as well as still giving indications of corrosion at deeper depth.
SO, the main point that i continue to stress here is that we are not just talking about surface corrosion. You must be careful to differentiate between surface and INTER GRANULAR .. The pictures that i have in this tread are the later,,,, more insidious and much more potential for structural damage. This is caused by the inherent impurities brought on by manufacturing and heat treating. This is not a case of Scatt tube gone bad or spilling battery acid on the spar. And while i don't think every spar may develop issues, the fact that Cessna told me that that 210 and the 177 spars were cut from same billet depending on needs, led me to conclude over ten years back that eventually a 210 will have the same issues. I do think a good inspection regime can prevent any major failures from developing.
Cessna should be able to provide thickness limits on both the 210 and 177 spars for measurements. I personally maintain that if you have corrosion that has be be blended out mechanically, you have a much bigger problem that may need addressing.

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 1 month 6 days ago #1668

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Jeff;
I would like to talk to you about the steps you went through to inspect your spar carry through. I know i have your ph no. somewhere, just not sure where.
Can you give me a call at 805 714 8068?
Thanks
Steve
I plan to expand on this subject in an article--so hope to use some of your photos.
Thanks
Steve
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds