Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 1 month 5 days ago #1667

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Hey Carl,
I'm sort of a knucklhead about computers. It looks like your attachments are big enough to use in a magazine article but I am having trouble 'getting" the photos of the corrosion in the Cardinal spar. When you have time can you send them directly to me at: ?

I imagine you contacted Cessna Support and it gave you permission to polish out the corrosion. How deep did they let you go??

Were you able to save the spar??

If not, What did you do?? Buy on from Cessna? Find one in a salvage yard?

Thanks,
Steve
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 1 month 5 days ago #1666

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Thanks Jeff, Tom and Carl;
Very telling. I would like to use these photos to illustrate an article on this issue. I'm afraid that some Cessna practices (no primer paint, use of hygroscopic glues used when gluing parts to aluminum skin and structure, etc.) is finally catching up to our airplanes.
My friend Billy McCune (from Pinckneyville, Ill.) used to call corrosion "insidious blight." Time to re alert Cessna owners.
Best,
Steve

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 1 month 5 days ago #1665

• Jeff Strouse
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I own a 1978 Cessna T210M. Just had my Wing Carry- thru Spar inspected last week. I had the Eddy Current inspection and the magnifying glass inspection. There was not any corrosion or cracks. My aircraft was treated with Zinc Chromate when it was manufactured. I was lucky.My plane has always been hangared. My business partner also owns a 1973 Cessna 210 L and always been hangared however he had some corrosion. His plane was not treated with zinc chromate. I used lacquer thinner to remove the glue that held foam rubber on the spar. I also removed the 4 Oxygen cylinders for hydrostatic inspection. I took a lot of photographs for documentation of the spar. The most time consuming and tedious chore of the whole process was the removal and reinstallation of the headliner.

Jeff Strouse

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 1 month 4 weeks ago #1599

Yeah my Spar doesn't look bad at all but I still want to get it clean and Eddy current just be on the safe side and treat it appreciate all the information that you can give me on this.
Thanks Tom

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 2 months 13 hours ago #1596

This is what you DONT want to see if you have a 177 or a 210. This spar was in a very nice Cardinal, never suspected that when i went to do some flap rigging i would find this.

Cessna 177 and 210 Airworthiness Concern Sheet/Comments requested: Cracking in the Wing Carry-thru Spar 2 months 1 week ago #1578

HI Tom, any solvent like lacquer thinner or the like should work. 3m makes a adhesive remover, and you could even try Goo Gone. I'd try a non metallic scraper, like micarda and perhaps some very light scotch brite.. For eddy current, if you are going that route, the surface has to been clean and smooth.
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds