Fuel Consumption

More
7 years 10 months ago #166 by Patrick Wiens
Replied by Patrick Wiens on topic Fuel Consumption
Do you have an EGT or do you just lean until its rough and then richen until its smooth? The latter is a very inaccurate way to manage mixture and therefore fuel flow. After using EGT for a short while, you should be able to see the usual readings for your most common power settings and differences from normal might isolate your culprit. They are a fine investment as they will save you fuel and over time, cylinder overhauls.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #165 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Fuel Consumption
Hi;
I need a little more information. I'm interested in how you determined the fuel flow during the high usage flight. Do you fill the tanks, fly and then re fill the tanks?
Or do you have a fuel flow instrument?
I'd also like to know if the fuel usage figures are back to normal on subsequent flights?
One thing that might cause this is an inaccurate tachometer. If it reads low (and these instruments, especially if its pretty old can be affected by air temperature) then you engine is turning faster than the tach indicates. That will cause a higher than expected fuel flow.
To further check the tach theory, did you seem to be flying faster than usual??
Thanks,
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen D

More
7 years 11 months ago #155 by Dave
Fuel Consumption was created by Dave
Hello everyone.
I have a 1979 C172N with Powerflow exhaust. I routinely fly this plane on 7gph at 2200 RPM. I made a trip recently 2 hours each way, and even though I had plane leaned out the same, my fuel consumption went up to 9 gph. The engine only has 260 hours and nothing else seemed different. Anyone have any suggestions. I have had the plane 10 years and it has been a very airplane.

Thank you

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds